Fifteen firefighters and rescue members from Upper Pine River Fire Protection District responded to a house fire Monday night in Bayfield, though the blaze completely destroyed the building’s interior.
Fire crews were dispatched at 6:47 p.m. to 204 Full Moon Circle in Bayfield.
Heavy smoke and flames were coming from the front door and the windows when crews arrived. The fire was raging in the living room when firefighters finally made their way into the house, which had also spread to a bathroom, bedroom and to attic surrounding the chimney area.
Officials determined the fire was human-caused, and all the smoke detectors had previously been disabled in the home, according to a news release from Upper Pine.
Efforts to reach Fire Chief Bruce Evans for further comment were unsuccessful Thursday.
The house’s only occupant was taken by law enforcement to Mercy Hospital for evaluation. The occupant was later taken to a mental health facility, according to a news release from Upper Pine fire.
Upper Pine’s efforts in extinguishing the fire were assisted by a fire engine and two medical units from Los Pinos Fire Protection District. Though rescue crews were able to save the exterior of the house, all the contents of the home were damaged or destroyed by fire or smoke, according to the release.
“While the structure is not a total loss, significant remediation and remodel will be needed,” Evans said in the release. “The house has good bones.”